Whether by birth or by geographic location, as southerners there are two things that one must learn to, if not inherently love: bourbon and bacon fat. And if you know anything about Porter Road Butcher, you know that we inherently love both.
So why not mix them together?
Our “Way South of Manhattan” veers off the straight and narrow by employing white whiskey instead of the traditional brown variety, but we add a touch of that brown color back in by infusing bacon fat into this sinfully southern spirit. Strawberries make our cocktail both refreshing and seasonal, and the addition of vermouth and Campari turn it into what one would classify as a “real cocktail.”
Way South of Manhattan
5 fresh strawberries
1 oz. bacon-infused white whiskey (recipe below)
1 oz. sweet vermouth
- Slice tops off 4 strawberries; reserve 1 strawberry with top in-tact.
- Muddle strawberry in a cocktail shaker or pint glass until macerated.
- Add a handful of ice to shaker, followed by bacon-infused whiskey, and vermouth.
- Shake vigorously; 20 seconds.
- Strain liquid and pour over fresh ice.
- Add a splash of Campari (about 1 tsp)
- Garnish with side strawberry
- Serve in a stemless wine glass
Bacon-Infused White Whiskey
1 bottle Nelson’s Greenbrier White Whiskey
1 half-pint (1 cup) Porter Road Butcher bacon fat
1 empty quart container; glass or plastic will work
- Place half-pint of bacon fat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to melt.
- Pour white whiskey into empty quart container.
- Add bacon fat to whiskey. Secure the lid, then turn over 3-4 times to mix.
- Let mixture sit on the counter for 24 hours, turning or shaking whenever you remember to. Note: if the mixture is shaken too much, the bacon fat may begin to emulsify and become suspended throughout the whiskey.
- After 24 hours, put mixture into the freezer to allow the bacon fat and whiskey to separate. If the bacon fat rises to the top, you can then just use a spoon and skim it off the top. If the bacon fat became too emulsified, follow step 6.
- Cover a medium-sized bowl with 4 layers of cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band. Pour bacon fat-whiskey mixture onto the cheesecloth, allowing the liquid to strain through. Once emptied, carefully remove the rubber band and squeeze mixture to strain as much liquid out as possible.
- Set aside and reserve bacon-infused white whiskey for cocktail use!